Wednesday 23 September 2015

Art Glossary

In art and design we have been assigned our first project "hands", this then has led us to being introduced to a wide variety of key words that by using images of hands express the words meaning by drawing hands but also showing how the words can be shown in the drawing technique or any other type of media. This then led us to creating glossary pages for everyone of these words and using our imagination to create the perfect imagine definition alone with the actual definition. We have started creating the glossary pages by a method called stretching paper, which enables us to work on a hard surface(wooden board)as well as working on paper also we were directed by our tutor Claire Harrison to draw two A4 boxes on to the paper so that when they were finished we could we could cut them out. We were introduced to the principles of design, which are; contrast, pattern, emphasis, balance, proportion/scale, harmony and rhythm/movement. Where as last week we were focused on the elements of design, that are; line, shape, direction, size, texture, colour and value. I then started my glossary pages for the elements of design and started with the key words "value" and "lines". For my "value" piece I drew a black and white hand so that the colours would contrast, also by using pencil I was able to add detail and shadows as value itself means 'lightness or darkness', also for the title itself I used our newspapers to represent the lightness and darkness. I also did the key word "line" and I used my pinterest account to research other images of hands drawing with lines or based on lines as I was very limited to what I was do because everyone in the class pretty much did the same for the key word lines and I wanted to be different and attempt to stand out, so I drew the outline of a hand a drew lines with pencil inside to show depth and detail of the hand. I then moved on to the principles of design which is the most recent of what I have done up to date. I chose contrast but unfortunately only managed to do one piece of the key words but it took so much time and effort as I put so much determination into it and tried to bring some of my own photography work into it, and so the photo that I used of hands I banished the background and made a background of my own with brushing inks that were grey and blue. With brush inks you never know what it is going to end up looking like so that is what made doing my own background exciting. As drawing hands didn't quite excite me it was such a positive to bring in photography into my glossary pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment