Tuesday 14 March 2017

90s TV Shows: The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air


The Fresh Prince of Bel Air rap:

After starting my survey I decided to go further with my research and start to research 90s TV shows as I felt that TV shows, movies and the music industry influence the public's fashion choice and how they dress. Popular TV shows such as "The fresh prince of bel air", "Friends" and "Saved by the bell".

 Fresh prince of bel air is an american sitcom that was first ever aired in September 1990 and went on to air for 6 years and sadly came to an end to the series. The show stars the incredible actor Will Smith who plays a fictionalised version of himself, a street-smart teenager from West Philadelphia who is sent to live with his wealthy Aunt and Uncle in their Bel Air mansion after getting into a fight on a local basketball court. The Fresh prince of bel air outfits stuck pretty close to the young, bright, eccentric, and colourful styles Will smith rocked as a rapper. Fresh prince Will was always seen in colour: from pastels to bright bold colours. He also rocked patterned pieces, mostly sticking to geometric patterns and abstract, arty pants. The clothing worn by Will on the show reflected the 90s massively. He often wore windbreakers (type of jacket), parachute pants (a style of trousers characterized by the use of nylon, especially ripstop nylon), and stone washed denim.


Today, you can see hints of Will Smiths 90s style in the clothes worn by many pop culture figures. One of many being Tyler, the creator's style incorporating Will's bright eye catching colours, hats with flat peaks, pattern outerwear, and more.  

This is a good outfit and pose for a Front cover of CP in my magazine. I also like the colour scheme and colours used.:

GOLF fall/winter 2015:

My researching pages dedicated to Fresh prince of bel air.
For my research in my sketchbook I decided to start off with attracting my attention to TV programme's of the nineties, Fresh prince of bel air being one of them. By looking at programme's the main idea was to get an inspiration and idea of what was worn in the nineties and how I could take this research forward. So to get myself started I found photographs of the show using pinterest particularly photographs that show the clothes off. Looking at the show I was also able to see styles and trends accruing throughout the images. Styles such as street and upperclass sophisticated look. The trends I noticed are denim, bright and colourful shirts and many more. However, I feel that shows such as this one made an impact on fashion as a whole this being because all celebrities, programmes and many more make a huge influence on people. For instance programmes, you may look up to a character and feel like you relate to there situation or personality therefore they make an impact on you and you start to dress similar to them. 

Theoretically, If i was to do a photo shoot regarding this show I could picture a male teen as the model placed in front of a wall covered with graffiti, dressed in street wear similar to will smiths character or I could do a contrast shoot where the its half and half, half street and half sophisticated upper class look. 

No comments:

Post a Comment