Monday 14 December 2015

Transcribing Caro part A

The “Transcribing Caro Project” was my first experience exploring a 3D project also interpreting photography and a variety of elements joined together to complete the whole task. Firstly, I found a collection of primary research and images from my visit to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park and Hepworth gallery valuable because it allowed me to explore my manual settings on the camera further, and a range of media such as completing set tasks by my photography instructor and tasks set by my art tutor which was to complete one folding sketchbook of some of caro's sculptures. Throughout all of the visit to the galleries I took both close up and none close up's, also landscape photographs when exploring the wide range of sculptures. Collecting these images helped me a lot because I got an idea of what materials and shapes Anthony Caro goes for.  I also found it valuable collecting primary research from the gallery visits because it allowed me to compare Caro’s work in both galleries with the folding sketchbooks and images. It also helped me think of idea's how photographer's that use 3D elements could relate to Caro's work.  The trip was valuable because it allowed me to collect a variety of primary images that were placed into my sketchbook for further development and to explore ways in which I could put both Caro and photography together using 3D throughout the project. Also I found the visit important in particular as collecting primary images allowed me to look at 3D from a different perspective and different angles when taking images that was useful for the project and a photography point of view of 3D.  I found looking at the sculptures in real life better than secondary images because you can explore the piece at different angles and perspectives. Also it’s better to look at sculptures in real life because you can look closely into how the elements were placed together and this was shown in Caro’s work with strong fixtures and fittings. From my perspective it is  better to look at sculptures up close than secondary images because you can see how it fits in the environment and how other people in the gallery interact with the pieces. I think that my primary research turned out extremely well because I collected a variety of information, but mainly photographs as the photographs were to come in handy further into the project and also one completed folding sketchbooks from both galleries. I strongly believe my photographs showed turned out extremely well capture the landscape of the sculptures and looking at different angles and view points. Also I think they turned out well specifically for my primary research because I collected a variety of photographs not just photos of one specific sculpture. It allowed me to explored different types of caro's work, and the use of different materials, how the sculptures were placed and the scale of sculptures. I captured sculptures in ways that they looked abstract at different angles and perspectives and the photographs ended up looking great and it allowed me to use them for my sketchbooks also for my mini sculptures to just get a little inspiration to what my own sculpture would look like. Also including the one completed primary folding sketchbook turned out better then expected as it gave me observations or Caro's work from my own drawings with a variety of different drawing techniques.

The secondary research I collected was effective because I explored a variety of photographers that interact with 3D in different ways, these photographers were; Mark Bulford, Lisa Kokin, Lee Kirby and Joseph Parra. These photographers interpreted 3D in many ways such as projecting imagery, picture sculptures and so on. For my secondary research I collected a variety of images from each of the photographers and created sketchbook pages for each individual photographer and tried to copy some of there work and create it as how I imagined it would have been done or how to create it in a sketch book. Considering it myself as a photographer I thought it was quite challenging combining both 3D and photography as one. But, seeing some of the work of the other photographers I had chosen gave me a lot of inspiration.

Throughout the development stages for my 3D sculpture and 3D photographic sculpture task I have developed, organised and planned what I was going to design and create. Whilst thinking of a design that could also interpret photography was quite hard but whilst looking at photographers I had a inspiration from a photographer called isidro blasco who's work looked like this. I then thought on about applying some of caro's sculptures to my sculpture itself and making an elution that different parts of the sculptures were coming forward and some behind. 

Isidro Blasco  work

No comments:

Post a Comment