Tuesday 1 December 2015

Print making and photography workshops

On the 12th of November I had my first workshops for the Caro project, being print making and photography we had half a day to finish both workshops. Before any of the workshops took place every individual instructor explain what the process was going to be and for print making it was that we were going to be making an etching print either to make prints go on to out final sculpture or to make the etching part of the 3D sculpture. The process on this day was that print making would take place in the morning and photography in the afternoon. Moving on, when starting early hours on print making I was oblivious on an idea to do but not only that thinking of something that would relate to Caro's work and being the photographer I am I decided to be adventurous and use one of my photographic images I had taken of one of Caro's sculpture from my visit to the Yorkshire sculpture park. After choosing one individual image I was instructed by Jess, our print making instructor, to start collecting and sketching ideas, from the image I had chosen I started to collect basics shapes on the sculpture and drawing them as they were but more simple and adding detail and with a sheet full of different etching techniques, I was able to see what each tool looked like on a etching plate without testing it myself and making any mistakes. Firstly, I got my etching plate and removed the plastic base and began etching the basic shapes of the "Caro" sculpture I decided to use. I then tested it with black ink and a white play piece of card to discover that the print wasn't showing up as good as I wanted it too. So, I used a wood carving tool as my instructor "jess" recommended it as she has a lot of experience. By using the tool I was able to make deeper and thicker lining and which the etching tool I used before I was able to use it for great detail. It then enable me to then make more finer and better prints.

Once we had finished our etching plates and final prints we then moved on to the photography workshop At the start of workshop I was curious to explore photography because  was unsure how it was going to relate to the “Transcribing Caro” project. When arriving at the workshop we were given a task which was to create an interesting, abstract paper sculpture that was going be taken into the studio to be used to create different shadows and lighting techniques. The piece we created had to be 3D like Anthony Caros work and incorporate an abstract layout in the design. Before we started to create our designs we were given instructions about health and safety which we followed throughout the task. As we were using craft knives, we had to be careful when using them as they can be very dangerous. We also had to use a cutting mat on the surface to avoid damaging surfaces. Also we had to use a metal ruler to avoid cutting yourself when cutting straight lines as craft knives can easily move out of place. These instructions were followed throughout the workshop. For my designs I did an archway in simple terms kind of like a rainbow, one with swirls twisted stuck to the top of the card and last one I cut out shapes like fire and stood them up. I decided on all of these designs as I knew what would make a shadow and what wouldn't as I have experience when it comes to the studio and lighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment