Thursday 18 May 2017

80's Rave

My pages in my sketchbook dedicated to 80's Rave.
For another secondary research page I decided to divert my attention to a different scene, this being the rave scene. The rave scene refers to a large dance party at a nightclub, dance club or festival featuring performances by DJs, who select and mix a seamless flow of loud electronic dance music songs and tracks. ... Law enforcement raids and anti-rave laws have been used against the rave scene in many countries. The late 1980s/early 1990s genres of hardcore, breakbeat, acid and techno, the first genres of music to be played at rave parties, or to any other genre of electronic dance music that may be played at a rave. I have chosen to look at this in particular part of the eighties as it links in with my work as not only is it from the time but it contrasts with what I am focusing on. On the other hand I could disagree as the style of clothing portrayed at these events were very similar to the "Fresh Prince of bell Air" style as it is evolves around the street style of fashion. The clothing was baggy and comfortable to wear. These series of photographs were all taken by multiple photographers that focused on the time of the rave, when rave was at its peak time. They captured people in there natural environment and were able to see the behaviour of everyone at the rave. The rave scene as a whole was illegal so it was interesting to view how the photographers captured it. From my perspective I feel that they have captured it quite positively seeing people enjoying themselves dancing. However, from my research I found out that people went to raves not only to dance but it was said that people that went to these raves ended up taking drugs. One of the many reasons to why the raves ended up being illegal.  
From the photographs of the rave I have two or more views of
all of the photographs. One being of this in particular photograph
above displaying a pair dancing. However, from my knowledge of the
rave scene I feel that the photographer have caught them off guard and the pair
do not want to be seen. The raves were illegal so it seems more than obvious that
they were trying to hide from the photographer. The photographers were really lucky in
my eyes as I believe they had a peak into a hidden world when documenting the rave scene. 

On the other hand when looking at this photograph I feel that this women
has a different perspective on being seen in an illegal place. I believe she
is more bothered about having a good time than being caught on camera. I feel this is
understandable as back in the 80's rave, the rave scene became apart of the night life.

No comments:

Post a Comment