Sunday 21 May 2017

Design sheets

Photographers don't design they create, I could have an idea in my head and without creating a design sheet I would plan my idea for instance, the outfit, the lighting ect. I would have the idea thought process in my head. However, when doing a photo shoot a lot of things change throughout and become different, you are constantly changing the lighting, changing the poses and maybe even the location its not a simple thing to design in my eyes. I feel that for a photographer doing a design sheet it is a pretty hard task, it isn't like planning a painting or a model. I believe that it is quite a difficult task because I have loads of ideas and inspiration however when putting it onto paper I was oblivious. I just knew in my head that I wanted my final outcome to be multiple magazine covers. So when coming to my design sheets I went about it one of two ways. One being to actually design and plan out everything using imagery, finding specific photographs of what I wanted for the shoot and during the shoot. The second way of creating a design sheet, was to actually create a magazine cover on how i wanted the layout to be from the own perspective using an image from a previous shoot. Also throughout my research a lot has changed reguarding my final outcome as I wrote in my project proposal that I would be focusing on four eras these being sixties, seventies, eighties and nineties and would create a magazine cover representing each era and the trends that have returned. However when starting my research I felt that it was a little two broad so I narrowed it down to just two eras to focus on. These being the eighties and nineties as I my knowledge and understanding was greater for the two. In addition, throughout my project I have continued to further narrow my choices and idea's down, therefore my idea now is to have four A2 magazine covers all portraying the nineties style grunge incorporating the trends that have also come back into fashion from the era. 
First Design Sheet. 
For my first design sheet, I used both secondary and primary photographs from both Pinterest and Tumblr of what specific clothing I wanted my model to wear whilst shooting, what make up I wanted the model to have and what grungy styled poses I could possibly use. As my final outcomes are going to be magazine covers influenced by nineties grunge, I used photographs of both models in the nineties and models today and collaged them in the top right corner of my sheet, to portray the type of make up I want for my shoot and to go further with this I added a artistic study drawn and designed by myself on how I believe the make up should look. My design sheet also allows you to visually see my location and how I plan to use in within my shoot. As you can see I have drawn a diagram within the image to give myself an insight on how I plan to set up my photo shoot. However, my photo shoot isn't a painting so it wont just stay in one place whilst photographing I intend to move around the location so this means the diagram shown on my design sheet will change. The diagram on my sheet is just simply an idea of how the photo shoot may be arranged on the day. The style I am going for within my shoot is "Grunge" this is because it is a style that has influenced me throughout my research. For instance photographer "Corinne Day" and Designer "Marc Jacobs" have both incorporated grunge within their work and I am truly inspire in the way that they have portrayed the style. As well as the grunge style, I have also been influenced by earlier research such as the TV programs I have research such as "Friends". The location from the shoot is inspired by the scenery of friends as I plan to involve the fountains within my photographs just like the introduction to the program. The choice of clothing has come from my earlier research also by incorporating nineties clothing that has "Returned". For instance the use of denim and doc martins.


Second Design Sheet.
For my second design sheet I have chose to go down a more narrow path within my design work. I have done this by creating a mock up of my interpretation of a magazine cover, giving me an insight on the look of my design and how it could look. I created my design in Photoshop using an image from my Corinne Day critical studies as I felt it would fit in with my design and idea process extremely well as the style I am aiming to achieve within both my photography work and outcome is nineties grunge. To give the magazine a more realistic look I added both text by using the "T" tool in Photoshop and a bar code giving it a look of sentimental value. When creating this mock up magazine I was influenced by my earlier research of Vogue magazines from both eighties and nineties, and when analysing the magazines realised that Vogue tend to place all their wording and subheadings to one side of the image leaving the title big and stretched along the top suggests to me, so that the image and the title is always the focal point. I also got inspiration from looking at nineties magazine on Pinterest and looking at the layouts and designs. The wording chosen is additional information such as "what it is?", "What it is representing?" and "Who its by?". 
Third Design Sheet.
For my third and final design I chose to go down a similar root as my second design sheet and to create another magazine mock up to represent my idea and interpretation of how I want my design and idea to look. I created my design in Photoshop this time using a different approach on a layout being influenced by magazines such as ID, Dazed, Another and Wonderland which you can see further into my research. All of these magazines contrast with the way a magazine covers are stereotyped to look like, and also have an edgy and grunge like appearance within their style of both photograph and layout. I believe this contributes with my idea as the grunge style was known for arguing with what is right and wrong and questioning the surrealism of certain things. Within my design in photoshop I also used a bold font for both my title and subtitle similar to the related magazines. However, this time I have used a photographer from my earlier research on nineties trends and the model that will be used throughout my photoshoots. My aim for my final pieces is to achieve four outcomes all portraying nineties trends but not only that but proving the aspect of grunge still lives on as well as questioning the stereotypical look of a magazine cover, I want all four of my magazine covers to be unique and to attract the eyes of the public at my exhibition. 

No comments:

Post a Comment