Thursday 18 May 2017

80's Trends: Comeback

My pages for eighties Returning Trends showing both primary and
 secondary research, as well as experimentation with lighting in
the photography studio.
For my secondary research I have gathered photographs from a website called "Good House Keeping" portraying trends from the eighties that are now returning to today's day and age. I have also collected my own primary research of these trends of class mates that I have noticed wearing these specific trends and styles, and viewing how they have modernized them with today's trends. As you can see I have used photographs of celebrities as I believe that people no matter what era it is are influenced by celebrities, whether it is a model, musician, actress/actor. We are influenced by celebrities because they are an integral part of culture. They have made it in the worldview we are so entrenched in. By worshiping them (to an extent), we feel as if we are participating in this hugely important cause/belief system. Take me for instance I aspire to be a fashion photographer so I myself look up to either photographers I know have made it or models that are in magazines that I would love to be apart of, Its because of what I want in life that I look up these people, they already have what I aspire to be like. 

From interpreting primary research it also gave me the chance to experiment with lights I have either never used before or haven't had much practice with, and develop lighting techniques and my confidence within the studio environment. 

One of the returning trends of the eighties is animal print coat's, this is Ellie someone who is influenced by music e.g: bands and musicians when it comes to fashion. She is modeling her leopard print coat with a band t-shirt underneath. When taking photographs portraying the coat I decided to try experiment with location photography within the college grounds to show experimentation and development. I used natural light coming an open window from the right hand side. I had her turn slightly to her back towards the light to highlight the full length shot. However, as you can see the light source has slightly over exposed half of her face. For any future photo shoots I know to either decrease the ISO so that the image becomes darker, or using a faster shutter speed to decrease the amount of light entered or increase the aperture to a higher F/stop number. 

When doing a photo shoot if I notice any  images I don't necessarily like or see area's for improvement for instance images being over exposed or under exposed, I firstly see If anything can be doing using my Photoshop skills or for future reference I usually google what my problem is and take in the advice given on the website. 


Another returning trend from the eighties that I have found when researching was off the shoulder dresses. The model Georgia is also influenced by the music industry. However she is more on the girly side. For this shoot I decided to locate in the photography studio to experiment with lighting and develop techniques. For this photograph in particular I used a beauty dish a light source that is usually used for portraits, however when using this light I noticed that it created lovely harsh shadows of the model and created a focal point of light on the model. This created a dramatic and glamorous look. Furthermore, I feel that the light source is ever so harsh from the shoulders up so for further development I know to lower to level of light being produced from the equipment. 

Comparison to when I first started the course I believe that I have a better knowledge and understanding when it comes to the photography studio as It has been my comfort zone for all this time. To over come this I plan to stay out of the studio to give myself time to learn and develop my skills in the in particular fields I feel I lack in either confidence or skill, such as location photography, portraits and interaction with myself and the model.  

No comments:

Post a Comment