Thursday 25 May 2017

Re-Designing my final outcomes

Final piece
For this specific magazine I have edited it
further using both inDesign and Photoshop
by loosing the subtitle above the title and
by increasing the size of the title giving it
a more dominant positioning. As well as
increasing the title I chose to pull out the
image I did this by saving and moving the file
to photoshop and using the rubber tool and content
aware I erased the lettering over the face then to
smooth the look out then secured a layer mask. When
using the rubber tool in photoshop, I also lost parts of the
colouring within the text so to add in any touch ups
I used the paint tool to add the colour back in.
Final piece
When developing this image I decided to get rid
of the block behind the title and go for a totally different
look, increasing the title and adjusting the kerning. 
Mock up 
After sampling my mock up magazines and seeing them on a bigger scale I couldn't help but think that there was something missing within my design and placement, I also felt that the design made the covers looked extremely plain and a little too organised. In other words I got bored on the design as I didn't feel it stood out to me as much. I also had the idea of interpreting similarities from my research of Vogue magazines to create my magazines covers so that it was a collection of family magazines so like Vogue have the same title for each magazine its so you are award what magazine it represents and just by looking at it you know where it belongs and where it comes from so instead of having all different texts and titles I decided that I was going to develop my covers further. However, I still chose to keep parts of my original designs such as the bold fonts. Problems I uncounted when were that some on my designs were merged as one layer so I wasn't able to access the text within the design so I had no other option but to use my original images and start from the beginning using my mock ups as a lay out to follow. I also came across that my original photographs were not an A size so in Photoshop I had to "Edit, transform and put to scale". However, when put to scale the images lost a lot of background so I over came this by content aware and scale so that I was able to duplicate part of the background to fill out my A2 sized template. I have also changed the colour theme in my design to balance the photograph out more. So for instance I used the "eyedrop" tool to select colours within my image to them find the actual colour within photoshop and when selected should bring up the digits to make the colour. This time when placing text on my image using indesign enabled me to adjust the kerning of letting each letting. Kerning is each space between each letter. When coming across difficult situations such as arranging text and blending into the photograph to avoid this I added a shadow behind the text so that it stud out on the photograph rather than loosing it in the image. I also feel by having my text bigger fills avoids the look of it being plain. Like the saying "Bigger is better".
All of my designs are now displayed in the same way showing more of a distinct look instead of having multiple layouts showing confusion as I want to portray that my covers were for the same theme in this case "Returning Trends" just like how vogue magazine uses the same layout but displayed in different ways for each cover. 


When using the "eye drop" tool and selecting
a colour within the image it then pops up with
the colour in photoshop. 
Mock up 


I did this by using InDesign a software specifically used for editorial uses and typography use. I chose to do this as I learnt that Photoshop wasn't the best to create things such as magazine covers it was more for the editing use of the images. When developing my designs to avoid the plain look of my mock ups I decided that by increasing my text size would give the cover more emphasis and a more dominant look, as well as increasing the chance of drawing in the eyes of the viewers of my exhibition.
This is a video showing all of the processes I went through 
to develop my covers and make them to the best standard I
could using inDesign.
Mock up
Final piece 

Mock up

Final piece

No comments:

Post a Comment